We are currently looking to fill an opening in our electrical design department. The industrial controls designer/estimator (power EE focus) will train with an experienced designer for pump system control, SCADA, cellular, Motor Control Centers, lift stations, water pressure booster systems, boiler controls, and other custom work per project specifications. The designer must be able to quickly read and understand long specification and plan sets and convert these into a schematic and project drawings. Responsibility for performing take-offs from construction drawings from salesmen requests of projects is also a big part of the position.
Entry Level Electrical Controls Designer
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Knowledge of three-phase power and distribution is a must.
- Understands customer specifications (commercial and municipal), standards, and National Electric Code
- Communicate effectively with sales to collect all relevant information relating to the application
- Ability to work closely with the sales team to create submittals that contain the proper content that will appeal to the customer and generate further discussions
- Generate performance specifications, and customer build specs
- Analyze and interpret detailed drawings and specifications to develop accurate and timely electrical take-offs
- Determine and design value-engineered prefab solutions according to plans and specifications
- Develop a complete submittal package, including panel assembly drawings, schematic, and an itemized bill of material
- Develop and optimize best practices to consistently deliver timely project schematics and drawings
- Create control schematics integrated with plc I/O and variable frequency drives to provide specified functionality and panel layout drawings for control panel assembly
- Insure that drawings comply with internal and customer drawing standards
- Provide estimates for the manufacturing of the designed systems including materials, labor, and programming labor estimating
- There is no supervisory responsibility or direct reports
- Minimal (less than 5%) travel
Desired Skills and Experience
Qualifications and Required Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (Power Focus) or a minimum of four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Basic understanding of National Electric Code
- AutoCAD required with SolidWorks a plus
- Microsoft Dynamics SL or Accumatica for Estimates, Inventory, and Bill of Material creation
- Good mechanical and electrical aptitude
- Knowledge of basic electrical wiring a must
- Exposure to ISA drawing standards a plus
- Familiarity with pumps and pump systems a plus
- Good written and oral communication skills required
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications
- Team player, flexible, self-motivated, get along well with co-workers
- Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Job Type: Full-time
Please complete the form below, along with your attached resume and optional cover letter.